The Program admits students to the fall semester only. Application information is available at and applications can be submitted through the TIGP ONLINE APPLICATION . The deadline for application is February 1. It is to the advantage of the students to apply as early as possible. There is no charge for applications.
Students with a B.S. or M.S. degree from an accredited institution will be considered for admission. The following criteria/materials will be used to evaluate the applicant’s qualifications for admission:
- Undergraduate and graduate academic records or transcripts.
- The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE): General and Subject scores are optional but applicants are strongly encouraged to provide them. Applicants who fail to submit GRE scores for evaluation, should provide supplementary information (e.g. M.S. thesis, research publication, description of research experience, etc) to demonstrate their research potential.
- English proficiency: Applicants whose first language is not English must submit the results of an English test taken within the two years preceding the application deadline. Acceptable test scores are
- TOEFL: scores of 550 on the paper-based (or 79 on the new internet-based TOEFL (TOEFL-iBT)) or higher; (Our institution CODE & NAME are: 7142 Academia Sinica) Only ETS International TOEFL will be accepted. Institutional TOEFL will not be accepted.
- GEPT: Instead of TOEFL, applicants in Taiwan may take the General English Proficiency Test (GEPT) administered by the Language Training and Testing Center. Applicants are required to submit their high-intermediate level certificate when applying for admissions.
- IELTS (International English Language Test System): Scores of 5.5 or higher on the Academic Test are required.
Applicants who have recently completed two or more years of study in an English-speaking country are exempt from this requirement.
- Three letters of recommendation commenting on the applicant’s personal character and qualifications for independent study, including intellectual ability, research potential and scientific motivation.
- Statement of purpose (plan, including research interests and reason for graduate study).
- A student with only a B.S. degree and less than five years’ relevant post-graduate work experience prior to the date of application will enroll the program first as an M.S. student in the School of Life Science of NTNU and Department of Life Science of THU. These students must subsequently submit an application for “Direct Admission into the Doctoral Program” to complete their entrance to the TIGP Biodiversity PhD Program and must obtain a minimum of 30 credits for graduation. Students with an M.S. degree or who have worked in a related research field for at least five years after obtaining a B.S. degree need a minimum of 18 credits for graduation. (NTNU and THU reserves the right to make the final decision on the student’s qualification.)
For online application to the TIGP, please proceed to TIGP ONLINE APPLICATION The application materials submitted for evaluation will not be returned to the applicants under any circumstances.
Fellowship and cost
Fellowship Support and Stipends
The TIGP provides a full fellowship at NT$34,000 (approximately US$1,133) per month for each graduate student for the first year. The support will be renewable for another two years upon evidence of satisfactory progress towards the degree. If the progress falls short in some way the amount of support may be reduced. Starting from the 4th year, financial support will depend on the laboratory you have joined, which will also determine the amount and the length of the support. For more details, see Download.
Tuition, Housing, Medical Insurance and Living Cost
Options for housing include on-campus and off-campus accommodation. A self-catering student dormitory providing single study bedrooms is available to TIGP students at reasonable cost on the Academia Sinica campus. For details please visit the website: TIGP ACCOMMODATION
Options for housing include on-campus and off-campus accommodation. A self-catering student dormitory providing single study bedrooms is available to TIGP students at reasonable cost on the Academia Sinica campus. (For details please visit the website: http://tigp.sinica.edu.tw/Accommodation.html).
A summary of the expected cost (in NTD) of attendance:
|Credit Fee||5th semester beyond
|5th semester beyond
|5th semester beyond
|Expected tuition for 3 years#||167,936||123,280||101,140|
|Expected tuition for 5 years#||167,936||123,280||150,700|
|Expected tuition for 7 years#||167,936||123,280||200,260|
|National Health Insurance##||7,500-9,000 / year|
(first year only)
*THU students pay tuition fee for 4 semesters. International students pursuing Ph.D. degrees are eligible to apply for International Student Scholarship for up to 100,000 NTD per year and repeated applications are admitted. With the exception of international students who receive International Student Scholarship, all students pursuing Ph.D. degrees are awarded with 25,000 NTD per semester for 4 semesters.
**No matter how many credit hours were taken in one semester, students do not pay credit fee for the first 4 semesters when full tuitions are paid. In the fifth semester and beyond until graduation, students only pay credit fee for courses taken.
†NTNU basic tuition fee, paying until graduation.
‡No matter taking how many credits in one semester.
#Expected tuitions are calculated without considering the pending credit fee students may pay for courses taken in the 5th semester and beyond.
##Students are qualified to join the “Taiwan National Health Insurance Program” six months after obtaining an Alien Resident Card (ARC) in Taiwan provided that they have resided continuously in Taiwan during that time. Students have to pay a premium for the insurance program and will be entitled to the same medical coverage as Taiwanese citizens.